Forum

Categories

Forum Login

Crew ?

Dart Rival .
Posted: 23 Jul 2017 - By: Alan Green

About ten years ago I made the mistake of sailing with someone with a difficult personality . Whilst about 4 hours out from my mooring he demanded that I should make him a cup of coffee . I did , whilst down below I told him NOT to put the boat on auto tiller as we were trying to sail goose winged , difficult in a Rival with Rival roll . The idea of sailing Goose winged was his ,ignoring my suggestion that it was not a good idea . He completed putting it on auto tiller just as I put my head through the companionway with coffee . I was just in time to get the main sheet in the face , sliceing right through my top lip and throwing me violently sideways . Luckily dispite this most of his coffee was still in the mug . He proceeded to slurp this whilst I mopped up huge amounts of blood and took control of the boat , then helm the four hours back single handed and put her on her mooring single handed . The first help I got was when I saw looks of horror on peoples faces in the boat yard , one of the boat yard employees grabbed me telling me to leave my boat they would do it and I was rushed to hospital and recieved many stitches in my face . Afterwards when I looked at my Musto gold sailing suit and saw more dried blood than gold I realised the sight that I must have struck when I sailed onto my mooring . Who's fault was all this , mine of course !! It needs no explaining . Before you go sailing with someone you dont know well , find out more about them . This man was not a novice to sailing , he was/is an RYA master , but , his attitude WAS well known to others . If I had taken the main sheet (or boom) harder than that I would not be alive now , and I believe there are more deaths from main sheets than booms . I now have a Scott boom lock and an attitude that when someone becomes to dominant on your boat , they go !!

Comments

Only Members of the Rival Owners Association are allowed to read the comments and post threads on the forum.

Please note that having an account on the system does not automatically make you a member. To become a member please contact us.

Join us today

To find out more about how you can benefit from ROA membership click here.
Alternatively contact us.