Forum

Categories

Forum Login

Rival 31 rudder removal

Posted: 3 May 2021 - By: Paul Weeks

Hi I need to do one of two things to the rudder of John Silver our 1973 Rival 31. I drilled 10mm holes in the top and bottom of the rudder, about a litre of fairly smelly seawater dropped out over a 24 hr period (it's still weeping now after a week). Inserting a long screwdriver in to the top section of the rudder it's obvious the "foam" or "dough" used internally has broken up and is waterlogged. Option 1 is let water continue to drip out, force air through the rudder to help dry it out, then fill in the holes and leave it at that? Option 2 is to drop the rudder, open up one side with a 25cm x 75cm aperture, clean out old foam, dry out, then fill the void with closed cell foam and epoxy filler, then replace panel and grout it in place. If I remove the bottom fitting and take off the tiller assembly will the rudder drop? From Peter Brett's technical drawings it shows tufnol bearings held in with machine screws, I think this is to locate the bearings and not the rudder shaft itself? Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Comments

Only Members of the Rival Owners Association are allowed to read the comments and post threads on the forum.

Please note that having an account on the system does not automatically make you a member. To become a member please contact us.

Join us today

To find out more about how you can benefit from ROA membership click here.
Alternatively contact us.