Forum

Categories

Forum Login

Measuring from PDF plans

Posted: 31 Dec 2015 - By: Mawal

I was recently looking at options for making a trailer and trying to estimate R34 dimensions at certain points along the hull and keel. I needed some measurements which were difficult to obtain when afloat - eg height from bottom of keel to various points along the sheerline. Also it is useful to be able to measure without going down to the boat.

I printed out some of the construction plans on A4 paper and devised a formula to make mm on my printed page correspond to feet or mm in real life, by measuring in mm a known quantity on the printed page (say LOA of 34 feet).

However I later discovered a much better and easier way to do it. I downloaded the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and activated the Measure option in the Tools menu.

This allows you to pick any 2 points on screen in the PDF drawing and it will tell you the distance between them.

For example using PDF 271_8b (Rival 34 construction plan 5-9-72) when I selected the stemhead and the furthest aft point on the transom, the distance on the PDF was 25.36 inches. 

The scale of the drawing is 3/4 inch = 1 foot

Therefore 25.36 inches divided by 0.75 gives a result of 33.8 feet LOA - reasonably accurate

My other post re keel measurement should possibly have been in the Technical rather than the General section. I requested a real life keel measurement - if you have read this far but not yet seen the other post, I am hoping someone will supply a measurement from an R34 which is out of the water as mine unfortunately is not yet (trailer under construction). Mine is the R34D and I hope the length / width of the different types of keel will be similar. Thanks.

Comments

Only Members of the Rival Owners Association are allowed to read the comments and post threads on the forum.

Please note that having an account on the system does not automatically make you a member. To become a member please contact us.

Join us today

To find out more about how you can benefit from ROA membership click here.
Alternatively contact us.