Forum

Categories

Forum Login

AIS transponder

report on the AIS 1000
Posted: 6 Jan 2012 - By: Thisboat
Hi Folks,

I recently fitted and (sea trialed) an AIS 1000 AIS transponder and WatchMate display.

I installed the unit under the nav table (R34) with a 3ft dedicated SS whip on the stern rail and the display just above the Nav table to the side.

The unit performed well, at one stage it showed three ships at over 70nmi range, with one being at 116nmi (obviously the conditions were perfect for VHF propagation). 48nmi range) it wasn't until I viewed them under the 'list' option that I saw the ranges! (and yes i checked that they were correct from the location data supplied for each vessel)

The unit has many options for alarms and filters, but not so many that I got myself tangled. You can also fit an external alarm. 1000 and the Nasa Marine units to those thinking AIS thoughts.

J

Comments

Only Members of the Rival Owners Association are allowed to read the comments and post threads on the forum.

Please note that having an account on the system does not automatically make you a member. To become a member please contact us.

Join us today

To find out more about how you can benefit from ROA membership click here.
Alternatively contact us.