Forum

Categories

Forum Login

R41 wheel steering

Tiller lever design
Posted: 14 May 2011 - By: Perle
I am fitting out a Rival 41A which was originally purchased as a sailaway version and not completed. I have placed an order for a Lewmar Cobra wheel steering system (previously Whitlock). Lewmar have kindly provided me with copies of the original Whitlock drawings of a system for the Rival 41A. However there are no details of the rudder tiller lever. My yacht has a 13/4" diameter rudder shaft with a 7/16" keyway, with the keyway facing forward. The problem that I have is that the standard Lewmar tiller lever has the keyway positioned on the starboard side of the rudder shaft and a keyway positioned forward would interfere with split collar clamping arrangement on the standard Lewmar tiller lever. Consequently I need to fabricate my own tiller lever to suit my particular application. Furthermore, I am considering using a Raymarine linear drive autopilot actuator which will connect to the tiller lever. Has anyone any suggestions for the design of an appropriate tiller lever or any ways of overcoming this problem.

Comments

Only Members of the Rival Owners Association are allowed to read the comments and post threads on the forum.

Please note that having an account on the system does not automatically make you a member. To become a member please contact us.

Join us today

To find out more about how you can benefit from ROA membership click here.
Alternatively contact us.