Forum

Categories

Forum Login

Perkins 4236 and Borg Werner Velvet Gearbox

Shaft Rotation Reverse Rev Counter
Posted: 27 May 2009 - By: Sruth
When sailing the shaft rotates if the engine is in neutral or in gear.  I assume that because the Borg Warner Gearbox is operated by hydraulic pressure then there is no locking force on the gears, so the shaft just spins.  Does anyone know if this is an issue and the bearings will wear out because there is no oil pressure?

When I go into reverse the gearbox does not engage straight away, but rather I have to increase the revs and then it catches and off I go.  If I go back to tick over, but in revere gear, it remains in gear.  The oil level is correct.  Any thoughts?

And finally the rev counter goes straight to full scale deflection when the engine is on.  It is an electrical rev counter.  There must be a wire on backwards, but I have no idea which one.  The engine starts and charges as it should and all the lamps light and go out as expected.  The harness is original so I just plugged it all back in again!  Any guidance would be good.

Alastair

Comments

Only Members of the Rival Owners Association are allowed to read the comments and post threads on the forum.

Please note that having an account on the system does not automatically make you a member. To become a member please contact us.

Join us today

To find out more about how you can benefit from ROA membership click here.
Alternatively contact us.