Forum

Categories

Forum Login

R36 Rudder Trunk

Curing a leak
Posted: 30 Apr 2009 - By:
Hello everybody,
I have just sailed my new (to me) Rival 36 Zingarina from Beaulieu to her new home port of Fowey. She went very well in everything from flat calm to F6 but I have a small problem. There is a leak from, I think the rudder trunk. Water drains down a glassed in tube into the bilge sump. When sailing this is just an odd drip but when motoring the stern squats and the leak becomes a dribble.
I have of course refilled the greaser and forced lots of new grease through but still the weep continues. A previous owner has stripped both nuts on the studs on the inside of the rudder trunk but the lock nuts hold everything hard and anyway, I suspect the leak is from the outside. I have the drawing of the fitment and it shows the white metal bearing and the grease channels but is not clear about what's on  the outside.
Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

Only Members of the Rival Owners Association are allowed to read the comments and post threads on the forum.

Please note that having an account on the system does not automatically make you a member. To become a member please contact us.

Join us today

To find out more about how you can benefit from ROA membership click here.
Alternatively contact us.