Forum

Categories

Forum Login

Rockall trip anyone?

2018 summer
Posted: 10 Dec 2017 - By: Geoff Crowley

I'm planning a trip to Rockall this coming summer and in a chat recently another Rival owner said he might like to come. My intention was to make it a fundraiser for Abel2Sail, a Scottish charity that takes disabled people (especially kids) out sailing. They always need funds to run the Bavaria 46 and a Grand Banks with adaptions for disabilities. While chatting we wondered if this might be a Rival only escapade. The second boat brings a second charity, but it might be sensible to limit to two, otherwise dilution of result might happen. I've been impressed by the account of the trip of Malaprop's (R34) trip in July 1977. Plans are coming together for a departure from the Clyde for Contender, collecting an R34 somewhere in the Western Isles, and westwards roudn Rockall and back. We might linger in Barra or thereabouts for a day to see a good weather window. So back the Rival reunion on Rockall - anyone else interested to join in the fun? It'd be quite a PR stunt for a group of >40 year old raggies to round the rock, crewed by even older yachties. We don't have a defined date yet, so there might be scope for fitting a date to several calendars.

Are you interested?

Comments

Only Members of the Rival Owners Association are allowed to read the comments and post threads on the forum.

Please note that having an account on the system does not automatically make you a member. To become a member please contact us.

Join us today

To find out more about how you can benefit from ROA membership click here.
Alternatively contact us.